Are you a Beard, Goatee or a Moustache fan?
The key to looking dapper no matter what, as a modern gentleman, is exceptional grooming. Either choosing to sport the full beard, experiment with a goatee or throw it back to the all time classic moustache, aim to find the barber that will help you keep fresh and always looking your best. For this occasion I met up with my personal barber, Stefan Avanzato, a former master barber at Dolce & Gabbana and my own personal barber for 5 years who has now opened his very own Avanzato Grooming Lounge in Mayfair. I could not be happier! In his trusted hands and to celebrate his outstanding independent move I tried three iconic looks and asked the man himself to share with us 5 good reasons to keep a beard, 5 good reasons to try a goatee and 5 good reasons to get a moustache.
5 Facts and good reasons to own a beard:
- Beards have been around for centuries and once again are a lot more accepted in this day and age.
- Beards block UV rays and protects skin from the sun, so slows down ageing, wrinkles and even limits the risk of developing skin cancer.
- Recent studies show, men with beards are perceived to be more positive. Each man was rated to be more mature, attractive and healthier the fuller a mans beard grows. (As long as its well groomed by a good barber)
- Beards also prevent bacterial infections. When you have a beard the pores in your skin are naturally protected against any bacteria that may try to get in and cause infection.
- A beard gives a man a sense of power and confidence that is readily evident to anyone around him. Therefore making a decision to grow a beard is a way for a man to set a higher standard for his life and become more successful.
- For lazy people this also means no shaving in the morning and for those of you who suffer from irritation, razor bumps and ingrowing hairs, growing a beard will definitely limit the damage.
5 Facts and good reasons to own a goatee:
- People who struggle to grow a fuller beard, tend to opt more for a goatee. As these can still add facial hair, shape while also adding a focal point to the face.
- A goatee is a style of facial hair incorporating hair on a mans chin and upper lip but not on his cheeks. The exact nature of styles has varied according to time and culture.
- Goatees can be worn a bit more rugged and messy so not shaving can can clear up your schedule for more important things.
- Until the late 20th century, the term goatee was used to refer solely to a beard formed by a tuft of hair on the chin. as one on of a goat- hence the term goatee.
- Recent icons to rock a goatee and make them cool ….. Matthew Zorpas , Robert Downey jr, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Idriss Alba, Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.
5 Facts and good reasons to own a moustache:
- Moustache’s are a huge statement for Men, in early times they were a sign of power and success. These days it takes a lot more courage and guts to sport one. (So well done Matthew for pulling this bold look off so well)
- Mo’s are (apparently) more pleasurable for sexual foreplay.
- In recent years Movember implements moustaches in the month of November as a means of emblematically raising awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.
- Men who grow a mo enjoy the benefits of having microscopic allergens kept out of their noses and as a result, the reduction of effects of conditions such as hay fever and other allergies.
- Originally a moustache is also a religious symbol of The Yarsan religion. A traditional Indian belief is that a mans facial hair is a sign of his virility…. eventually British officers began to cultivate mo’s and other facial hair to gain respect of their troops.
Photos: Felipe Pagani