Holiday season is upon us and apart from good food, wine, and much needed family and friends time, this means – suiting up! But purchasing a great suit, has some pre-requisites, a process, some things to keep in mind! Despite popular perception, something I have been trying to reinforce throughout my years at the gentleman blogger ,is that a suit is suitable for all times of the day! One of my all-time favourite go to brands is of course, Tom Ford suits. Choose a brand you can trust for one of the most versatile and transcendent items of clothing in your wardrobe. Whilst keeping that in mind, how do you go about looking for a suit? And how do you end up, choosing one? In collaboration with Selfridges here are my top 10 tips to shop men’s designer suits!
- Know what makes you comfortable. This could mean, choosing the right textile – always, always, choose quality – because quality will bring comfort, and comfort will bring suave.
- Choose fit – as a man who has an exorbitant amount of suits, I know that a different fit creates a totally different look – classic, slim, double-breasted, an Italian cut or an English cut. Dare to try something out of your comfort zone – you might be surprised what a different fit looks like on you, and most importantly, how it makes you feel.
- Listen to the salesperson, but, go with your gut.
- A suit is part of a whole – always keep in mind that shoes, and accessories – even socks, a handkerchief and a great shirt complete the look
- Choose the textile – the most common is wool and it is also the safest option considering warmth, and comfort, but tweed and herringbone are up there with wool! Tweed being the thicker material, will serve you best in colder temperatures. Like tweed, herringbone, is a tighter weave with heavy material, and thus, creates a more structure result, than wool or cashmere suits.
- Go for colour and combinations of textile. Gradients of browns and corduroy, hues of green with velvet, tartan blended into wool – go for colour and combinations of textile.
- Choose a store with variety. You do not want to be limited in your endeavour! Selfridges can solve your quandaries for you!
- Choose a brand that you trust – a Tom Ford suit is my go-to.
- Think about the purpose of the suit – and let it guide your decisions! Different styles are for different occasions. You might even decide to go for something you didn’t plan to!
- Does it make you feel good? Then buy it!
Photos: Alice Zielaskoington