Rio. I was born once in Cyprus, grown up in London, and then reborn in Rio. I find myself always returning to Brazil, and Rio especially. The aura, the heat, the people, the landscape. Everything comes together to form the mystery and grandeur of this place. No matter how much I adore it, as a traveller there are some things you should know whilst visiting.
Here are 5 things we love:
1. Do not miss the Carnival and some of the good street parties (locally called blocos)
2. Parque Lage is a must. A public park in the city, located in the Jardim Botânico neighborhood at the foot of the Corcovado.
3. Brazil has the biggest Japanese population outside of Japan therefore really good Sushi. All time favourite: Sushi Leblon
4. For local shopping, you will discover Osklen, Ipanema, Melissa and HAVAIANAS. Great quality brazilian brands and suitable for the hot summer there.
5. Hiking up Pedra Bonita. It’s about an hour hike to the top.. and definitely one of the most beautiful views of the city.
and here are 5 things you should be wary of:
1. Avoid wearing jewellery
2. Avoid drinking tap water
3. Avoid carrying a wallet and leaving your thungs unattended.. carry a waist bag instead for all your belongings
4. Avoid tours at the favelas – it’s a sensitive issue and the tours usually contribute nothing to the communities
5. Don’t forget, it’s always credit cards and no international debit cards accepted in brasil
Last but not least, remember to let go and savor the places you visit!